Fancy a Roman Holiday? Heres what not to miss!
2) The flower market on Campo de Fiori is colourful and exuberant. Down a double-espresso and immerse yourself in the blooms.
3) Does your beloved really love you? To find out, wander through the Jewish quarter toward Teatro di Marcello till you find Bocca della Verita, the Mouth of Truth. This is a legendary lie-detector for paranoid lovers. Put your hand into the scary statues mouth and swear your love. If you dont really mean it, your hand will be bitten off. (Allegedly.)
4) Trattoria San Teodoro (Via dei Fienilli, +39 06 6780933), situated in a beautiful square in Old Rome is the perfect spot for lunch.
6) Rome is the ice-cream capital of the world! Il Gelato di Panetteria (Via Della Panetteria 42) serves shamelessly orgasmic ices. Why not share a tub of zabaione, made with vintage Marsala? Or sample the liquorice ice which supposedly increases sexual appetite!
7) In the evening, join the other lovers on the Spanish Steps, the ideal spot to watch the sunset.
8) Dinner at La Terazza (Via Ludovisi 49; +39 06 478121) on the top floor of the Hotel Eden is exquisite: magnificent food coupled with an in-your-face view of St Peters and the Pantheon. The seven course gourmet menu is £80 per person and well worth it. Book well in advance!
9) Wander through the Pincio Gardens and enjoy a kiss in Piazzale Napoleone. Youll feel like Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck!
10) The Hotel dInghiliterra (www.royaldemeure.com) offers traditional elegance in an amazing location: right in the centre of the couture district on Via Borgognona. It has been a guesthouse since the 1600s and boasts large rooms with balconies. A double room B&B costs from £220.
Based on an article in The Sunday Times Travel section, 18 June 2007, by Vincent Crump.