According to UK legislation it is illegal to eat mince pies on Christmas Day. Yup, really. All those decades of kids who?ve left a mince pie treat out for Santa on Christmas Eve? I guess they could be charged with incitement. And as for the parents who gobbled down Santa?s pie ? yes, of course you had to or your kid would be upset ? you better hope you did it before midnight.
The law was introduced in 1644 by Oliver Cromwell to combat gluttony. What festive spirit. This law is one of many obsolete decrees that modern justice has neglected to cancel and is therefore ? in theory ? still, erm, legal.
A public vote has determined the most absurd British and International laws, reports the Telegraph.
The mince pie ban was voted the fourth most ridiculous law; the number one spot went to the ban against dying in parliament.
The five most absurd international laws are as follows:
1. In Ohio, it is illegal to get a fish drunk
2. In Indonesia, the penalty for masturbation is decapitation
3. In Bahrain, a male doctor can only examine the genitals of a woman in the reflection of a mirror
4. In Switzerland, a man may not relieve himself standing up after 10pm
5. In Alabama, it is illegal to be blindfolded while driving a vehicle
See the full list
Make your own mince pies