The Fabergé family were originally from France with some members of the family settling in Russia in the 19th century. The beginning of the Faberge legend came with the birth of Peter Carl Fabergé in 1846. He was educated in Germany where he also did his goldsmith apprenticeship. Faberge soon inherited his father's jewellery workshop in Russia in the ?Venice of the North? St. Petersburg. Over the following ten years he ran the business in much the same way as his contemporaries whilst also lending his expertise from time to time to the Hermitage museum. However, Fabergé next reorganised the business with his younger brother Agathon, a talented, trained jeweller and they then exhibited their work at the Pan-Russian Exhibition in Moscow. Czar Alexander III and his wife Czarina Maria were in attendance and they made purchases from the Fabergé company and subsequently Faberge became supplier to the Imperial Court. This association lead, beginning in 1884, to the most exquisite, intricate and famous of the companies work, the Fabergé Eggs.
In recognition for his work Fabergé was allowed to use the famous double headed eagle emblem of the Romanov family in his company logo.
In all fifty six Imperial eggs were made with them often taking more than a year to plan and to construct. So far, forty-four of these beautiful artistic eggs have been located with the most prized being those commissioned by the last Czar, Nicholas II.
The origin of the Eggs has it?s roots in Russian Orthodox culture. It was commonplace at Easter to exchange three kisses and the present of an egg. It was from this that Czar Alexander III commissioned an Easter Egg for his wife Czarina Maria from the Fabergé company and this followed on each year, the tradition being continued by his son the last of the Czar?s ? Nicholas II.